Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Slap Yo' Momma

Well, the most treasured of American holidays has come and gone; but, that won't stop me from basking in the glow of dimmed stadium lights as they reflect in purple & gold confetti for a couple more days.

Why might I carry out Superbowl magic as long as possible? Do I love the Ravens? Nope. Am I a sucker for football season and hate to see it end? Yes, but that's not it either. Could it be that I have selfish interests? Much warmer...

You see, I have a family recipe for Chinese chicken wings that is so good it will seriously make you want to slap yo' momma! And, one night a year, I get the privilege of producing a dish so complete in its awesomeness that it brings grown, football-loving men to tears. That's why I mourn the passing of Superbowl Sunday. It will likely be another trip around the sun before I am chockfull of high-fives and meat sweats.


You will never stop thanking me for this ... ever.

And, since this is a blog dedicated to sharing holiday experiences -- especially the ones where men put on helmets and smack talk -- I really wanted to deliver for all of you in a big way, by 'dishing-out' my magical chicken-y knowledge.

However, we hit a speed bump right out of the gate:

My text to my Chinese-American Stepdad:
"Hi Dad! How would you feel about me featuring your chx wings on the blog this week? Would you mind if I share the recipe?"

My dad's text back to me:
"I want the recipe to be a family secret. It is, however, based on a published and copyrighted recipe by noted Chinese chef Joyce Chen. Ms Chen, I believe now deceased, was a friend of my mother's family. There is now a line of Chinese cookware that bears her name."

Well, it was over before it started. I so wanted to pass on the source of my deliciously gooey Superbowl powers, but you don't argue when a parent utters the words secret family recipe. What if Mrs. Fields' daughter couldn't keep her trap shut? Or, God forbid, little Sally Entenmann?

No sir, I can't deny myself the eventual windfall that is my chicken wing birthright. I WILL NOT go against the family. I WILL NOT share our secrets with the unwashed chicken wing loving masses. I will, however, tweak said recipe just enough that you, too, can be inundated with pub grub love this time next year.



So, after adding some delicious new elements and keeping a couple ingredients to myself, here is what you need to know:

(All measurements based on 2 pounds of chicken wings)

- Add several Tablespoons of coconut oil to dutch oven or large pot, over medium heat.
- Brown wings in batches, about 4 minutes on each side.
- Once all wings are browned, lower heat to medium-low and add:
- 1-2 Tablespoons of chopped fresh ginger.
- 1 minced chili. Chinese chili, if you can find it. A Serrano pepper (with seeds) works just fine, too.
- 2 Chinese anise stars.
- Let that cook several minutes, until fragrant. Then add:
- 1/3 Cup soy sauce.
- 1/3 Cup sake.
- 1/3 Cup water.
- 2 Tablespoons mirin.
- 1-2 Tablespoons sugar.
- Bump the heat back up to medium and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir Every 5 minutes or so.
- Uncover and cook over medium-high heat for 15 minutes, continuing to stir every 5 minutes.
- Remove the wings from the sauce and transfer them to a platter.
- Continue reducing the remaining sauce.
- Once it becomes a thick glaze, discard any star anise pieces you come across.
- Pour glaze over your towering platter of amazing chicken wings.
- Enjoy!


If this doesn't make you hungry, you might be broken.

I think the biggest thing we can all take away from this holiday (other than a mild tummy ache) is that my family totally knew Joyce Chen! How awesome is that?! And, you can simply click here should you want to take a gander at her version of this recipe -- or her daughter's updated version.

I'll be perfecting my touchdown dance until we meet again,

Ilana


The “Packing List”

This week, we were rocking the following...or close to it:






3 comments:

  1. I wonder if the Entenmann or Fields recipes are in the public domain?
    Ilana's Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. The NO1 Visitor Information in Jersey Shore Clothing for over 28 years. Discover our website for the best Cafes, Night Categories, Activity, Purchasing, Hotels, Activities and Entertainment that the New Clothing Shore has to offer!
    Jersey Shore Magazine, Jersey Shore Travel, Jersey Shore Tourism, Jersey Shore Vacation, Jersey Shore Travel Guide, best restaurants in Jersey, motels, Hotels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Blog is so informative where we get lots of information on any travel topic. Nice job keep it up!!
    cheapest airline tickets
    cheapest flights to india

    ReplyDelete